The Fiber Splicer plays a vital role in ensuring quality and timely delivery of telecommunications services to our customers. This position is responsible for reading and interpreting schematics and diagrams to splice, terminate, and test fiber-optic, coaxial, and copper (twisted pair) for new construction and new service installations. Also maintains, troubleshoots, and repairs damaged cable and related issues in the outside plant network.
Essential Job Functions:
- Work with Project Managers and/or OSP Engineers to perform splicing as directed; Provides detailed reports of field splicing activity;
- Prep cable and performs both fusion and mechanical splices for aerial and underground applications;
- Ensure all splice closures and termination points are airtight and free of moisture;
- Install protectors and demarcation equipment at customer premise;
- Installation and maintenance of vaults, mini-vaults, and manholes;
- Installation of actives and passives (nodes, amplifiers, taps, splitters, power inserts);
- Demonstrate appropriate Customer Service Skills, especially ability to work effectively with landowners and utility service providers;
- Load, transport, unload, setup and operate heavy equipment including backhoe, bulldozer, mini-excavator, and trencher. Class A CDL required within six months of starting.
- Perform manual excavations, including utility exposure, transition, and termination;
- Ensure proper bonding and grounding of aerial and underground plant’
- Perform all work in accordance with industry and Company standards and per all government regulations including OSHA, DOT, FCC, etc.;
- Track and enter time for capital projects as required;
- Participate in on-call rotation and occasionally performs work during scheduled maintenance windows at nonpeak hours;
- Perform all other related duties as assigned by management.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Thorough understanding of telecommunication construction practices including:
- Fiber and cable installation practices and procedures;
- Identifying individual fiber cables at splice and node locations;
- Fiber optic splice enclosure handling and maintenance practices;
- Depth/distance requirements;
- Marking and/or identifying cable routes/types;
- Work area restoration and easement/Right of way management
- 90 volt HFC network operation and parameters
- Emergency service restoration procedures and practices
- Up-to-date on RUS and NEC Standards and FCC, OSHA, and DOT regulations;
- Knowledgeable of company products, services, policies and procedures.
- Ability to use all functions of RF meters, optical meters, spectrum analyzer, TDR, OTDR, volt/ohm/amp meters, and monitoring software
- Basic PC software skills including Outlook, Excel, Word, Auto Cad Map Viewer;
- Skill in reading cable schematics, fiber count reports, and verification reports;
- Ability to communicate with co-workers and various business contacts in a professional and courteous manner;
- Ability to follow detailed instructions for complex tasks;
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as maps, staking sheets, and cable schematics, fiber count reports, and verification reports;
- Ability to pay close attention to detail;
- Ability to work independently and make sound technical decisions using information at hand.;
- Ability to effectively function as a team player.
Education and Experience:
High School diploma or equivalent plus 5 years of experience in telecommunications construction or maintenance operations required. Minimum of 3 years of experience splicing fiber preferred.
Ritter Communications is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer; all qualified candidates are encouraged to apply. M/F/D/V. We strive to maintain a drug-free workplace.
We offer competitive compensation and an outstanding benefits package including health, dental, vision, cancer, accident and life insurance, short-term and long-term disability, 401(k) with company match, pension plan, flexible spending accounts, free gym membership, company discounts, tuition reimbursement, paid training, paid leave, and much more!Apply Now!