Arkansas State University-Newport
The Skilled Tradesman will be responsible for the maintenance and repair of buildings and equipment, developing and implementing installation and maintenance schedules for work on new and existing electrical and mechanical systems including heating, ventilation, air conditioning, plumbing, or carpentry on the Newport Campus.
This position requires the demonstrated ability to work effectively with others while promoting a positive organizational culture by embodying the institutional values of community, diversity, innovation, integrity, student-centeredness, and trust. This position is governed by state and federal laws and institution policy.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conducts periodic inspections of buildings and grounds to determine maintenance requirements for new or existing systems.
- Provides hands-on assistance to resolve problems or to demonstrate correct procedures.
- Participates in preventive maintenance activities.
- Makes routine inspections of the heating, cooling, and electrical systems.
- Receives work orders and follows through to completion.
- Maintains and performs minor repairs on equipment and vehicles.
- Conducts on-site inspections to ensure quality of work, determines maintenance requirements, and complies with safety regulations.
- Monitors building and grounds for public safety and security and checks safety systems such as emergency lights, smoke alarms and fire extinguishers.
- May be required to work graduation ceremony and other campus related events.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty mentioned satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
The formal education equivalent of a high school diploma and experience in maintenance and repair of buildings and equipment. Knowledge of methods, practices, and safety precautions in one or more of the skilled trades. Also, knowledge of laws and regulations related to one or more of the skilled trades.
REQUIRED CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Electrical or HVAC license is preferred.
- Knowledge of building and grounds maintenance techniques and equipment.
- Knowledge of inventory control techniques.
- Knowledge of state purchasing procedures. Knowledge of supervisory practices and procedures. Ability to operate, maintain, and perform repairs on various types of electrical and mechanical equipment.
- Ability to conduct on-site inspections to determine compliance of work with departmental standards and regulations.
- Ability to plan, organize, and oversee the work of skilled, and semi-skilled workers.
- Ability to maintain adequate supplies and inventory records.